May 23, 2014
After posting this audio, Bill called his wife and said he is almost out of battery on his phone so we are not sure when we will hear from him (he will get an earful later about that). He will leave for the summit about 6am California time on May 24th and we are not certain how long it may take to reach the summit, but we may not hear anything until Sunday the 25th.
To give you an idea where he is on the mountain, see the map below with this info. Photos in the links below are from a prior trip.
- Everest Base Camp – 17,056 feet
- Intermediate Base Camp – 20,336 feet
- Advance Base Camp – 20,992 feet
- Camp 1 on the North Col – 23,616 feet
- Camp 2 – 25,584 feet
- Camp 3 (high camp) – 27,224 feet
- First Step – 27,890 feet
- Second Step – 28,200 feet (where Bill turned around in 2012)
- Third Step – 28,500 feet
- Summit – 29,035 feet